2.02.2011

What I Bought

You might say I have a love obsession for thirfting...that said, I think it's appropriate to share some of my finds on a regular basis.

IMG_7459
My shopping buddy today.

I think my biggest thrill of thrifting is the hunt. Many times you enter a shop with nothing in mind, but you leave with exactly what you were (and many times were NOT) looking for! Like the time I was wanting a Bumbo chair...but was not about to spend the $40+ to get one...and I found with WITH a tray for $1.98. A DOLLAR NINETY-EIGHT...what is that like a 95% savings?!

The second biggest thrill for me is the money saved! (Sure, sure, sure, you may argue that time is money and I do spend A LOT of time in these shops...but it makes me happy, so there! And wait until you see my savings below!) Okay...another example...the multiple pairs of name brand - Joe's, 7 for all Mankind, Silvers - jeans that I've snagged for $5; or the Pottery Barn Kids bedding for $6; or the Baby Einstein Singing Mirror for $7 - regularly $30 - just to name a few! Just thinking about the $$$ saved makes my heart race!

Now, let's talk strategy... 

1. Go often...the more you're there the greater chance you'll get the good stuff - I try to go about once a week.

2. Have a system once in the store...whether its start at one side of the store and work your way around, or hit up     certain areas.

Before Blake was born, my first stop was always the scrubs for work. When I was pregnant it was baby boy clothes/baby linens and toys. Now it's boys clothes...size 12 months now!...and toys. I am always amazed at the toys people give away...most are almost brand-new.

3. Use cash. I don't always follow this one...especially if I end up hitting the jackpot at a store...but Rustin once read an article about the hazards of using your credit cards at thrift shops...so I've tried to heed that counsel. Plus...sometimes the best stores are in the scariest parts of town...and it's just smarter to not leave personal credit card info behind.

4. Have a route. The town north of us has quite a few thrift shops...so I have a certain route/loop that I stick to to hit all the best spots.

5. Have a phone with internet. This lets ya look up brands and current prices to determine if you're really getting a good deal. You gotta be careful...sometimes the people who price the merchandise see a name brand and jack up the price. I mean seriously...just because a kid's shirt is from the GAP doesn't mean it should be marked $9.97! However...these same people who do the pricing don't know every brand and let awesome items slip through their hands with a sweet price. Like my Ergo Baby Carrier I scored for super cheap.

6. Pay attention to special sale days and coupons. Many shops send out weekly/monthly coupons that can really aid in major savings! A word of caution...sale days bring out BIG crowds so you got to decide if it's worth it to rummage with everybody else - especially if they're taking your treasures! =]

7. Last, but not least...HAVE FUN!



Here's my loot from today...

IMG_9316copy

1. Cloud B Twilight Turtle Constellation Nightlight $32.99 at Babies R Us, paid $0.24
2. Airplane Toy, paid $0.74
3. Fisher Price Stack & Nest Blocks $18.95 at Amazon.com, paid $2.97
4. Banana Fish Baby Boy Crib Set  $269.95 at Toy's R Us, paid $8
5. Fisher Price Incrediblock  $83.98 at Amazon.com, paid $1.98
6. Little Tikes Waffle Cottage House seen on Ebay.com from $5-10, paid $2.97
7. Little Tikes Handiwork Workhorse  $29.99 at Walmart.com, paid $2.97
8. Books, paid $0.24 - $0.74
9. Carter's Two Piece Jammies $10 - $20, paid $1.99
10. Little Tikes Railroad Station - vintage seen on Ebay.com for $20 - $99.99, paid $6.97 - played with this as a kid!!
11. Gymboree Khaki's $26.95 at Gymboree.com, paid $1.99
12. Old Navy T-shirt $8, paid $0.94. Skinny jeans, $10 online, paid $3.49

Retail Total: Around $515-ish...I didn't include the books



I paid: $35-ish

AWESOME!! Doesn't that make you smile?! 


Until next time...happy hunting!



4 comments:

Amanda said...

And Blake's face says, "what do I do with all this crap?" AWESOME deals Lisa!!! I would love to go more often!

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

HANDS DOWN...YOU ARE THE EXTREME EXPERT IN THRIFTING LEESE!!! GREAT JOB ON YOUR AMAZING FINDS TODAY!!! Thanks for all the great tips for those of us who don't do this hobby on a regular basis ;)

Fuller Family said...

love it Lisa! I have been thrifing alot more these days, I think of you when I go. I totally love it and get soo excited when i find sweet deals. Thanks for sharing your tips. :) Can't wait til I can go with you sometime.

The Duckers said...

AWE-SOME!!! There simply isn't anything else to say!