8.16.2011

Our Day

6:12 Dragged myself out of bed

7:35 Blake & I left for Oakland Childrens hemophilia clinic to see Dr. M

7:45 Blake falls right to sleep, probably because he likes to wake up 2-4 times a night lately

9:00 Supposed to be at the clinic...but STUCK in traffic, ugh!!

9:30 Finally get to clinic - Blake weighs 10.5kg. He warms right up to staff (a shocker) thanks to some bubbles and cool toys

10:00 CBC, pre & post infusion factor 8 levels drawn from Blake's central line (YAY, no pokes!)

10:15 While we wait to see Dr. M - Blake explores the clinic

IMG_3764

10:30 Nurse D talks to me about doing peripheral pokes on Blake in the near future...in hopes of avoiding a port-cath. She really has some good points and even let me practice on her...much easier than starting an IV! Maybe I can do it??!?! SCARY!

11:00 Nurse D brought Blake the coolest car to ride in while waited. He LOVED it! When the social worker K asked if she could ride too...Blake scoot over in his seat to make room, what a sweet boy.

IMG_3769IMG_3774

11:05 Dr M sees Blake and he cooperates like a champ, a first. He let her measure his wrists (checking the puffiness of the right compared to the left caused by the occluded blood vessel from his blood clot), listen to his heart & lungs, check his joints, and bruises. We discuss the size of his right arm and decide there's no need for a CT scan at this time - YAY! 

12:10 Lunch at Childrens' cafeteria. As we ate, I saw the mom of the boy who was in the PICU when we were there in Novemeber. My heart ached for them...I can't imagine spending so long in the hospital.



12:30 On our way to Fairyland in Oakland, again Blake fell right to sleep. Little stinker.

12:38 In the parking lot of Fairyland, when I realize I locked Blake in the car! Cue panic!! I couldn't even think...so I called Rustin, who told me to call our roadside assistance # on the window of the car. DUH!

12:59 After going through every stinking automated menu (of which took an eternity, but really only 5 minutes)...I FINALLY get to a real person who then tells me to call the police. Thanks roadside assistance...ugh. 

1:00 Not knowing the police number...I called 911. 
        911: "What is your emergency?"
        Me: "Uuuuhhhh, I've locked my son in the car and it is a hot day. My roadside assistance told me to call you." 
       911: "They told you to call us? We don't do that. I'll connect you to the fire department."
       Me: Feeling like the biggest idiot, "Thank you!!"

1:02 Gave our location to the Oakland fire department and the voice on the line said, "The truck will be there shortly. Be sure to flag them down when you see them." Both relieved and embarrassed, I say thanks and hang up.

1:04 Roadside assistance calls me back to check in and remains on the line until help arrives. As we wait...Blake snoozing all snug and warm/hot in his carseat...I hear sirens in the near distance. OH MY GOSH! REALLY?!! Are sirens really necessary?!? *sigh*

1:07 The biggest firetruck I've ever seen pulls in and 5 firemen jump out with tools in hand. They could tell I was embarrassed and told me this was their second rescue today. (oh great...another irresponsible mom locked her kid in the car today too...that doesn't make me feel better.) 

IMG_3889IMG_3883IMG_3884IMG_3890

1:15 They speedily work, popping the drivers door open and freeing Blake from the oven. Cute little guy had no idea of the chaos around him. When I got him out of his carseat he was so sweaty and still sleepy...but managed to express his amazement when he saw the firetruck with its lights flashing by saying, "OH WOW!" I just melted! 

1:16 Now, the only problem was the keys were in the trunk, which wouldn't open from the inside...some safety mechanism...dang new car technology! The firemen were so sweet and tried everything to pull down the backseats...but they just wouldn't budge. Then all of the sudden they did budge, the seat was down and the keys in my hand! YAY!! 

1:20 I couldn't let them save Blake without a photo, right?! They were so cute with Blake and even gave him his own fire hat, which he actually wore - for a second. 
IMG_3854IMG_3887
Thanks Oakland Fire Department for rescuing Blake!
And for helping me not feel like the biggest LOSER on the planet.

1:33 We finally made it to Fairyland.

IMG_3787copy

When you first enter the park, you are greeted by a giant orange dragon with a long tongue. Blake thought he was pretty neat he could pull it!

IMG_3791copyIMG_3789copy
"WHOA! WHOA!" Blake would say.

The place was adorable. As you go through the park, there are various stops you put a key in and get to listen to a story or nursery rhyme. Blake was in heaven taking his key to the various stops, dancing to the music, then saying,  "All done!" when the story stopped. 

IMG_2521copyIMG_2540copy
More "WHOA'S" being said!




IMG_2532copyIMG_3793IMG_3802copyIMG_3797copy
IMG_3808copyIMG_3792copy

2:20 We got to follow Alice in a maze as she followed the cheshire cat...we ran into the Queen of Hearts and her card army on the way. Blake was very impressed!

IMG_2537copyIMG_2538copy

2:30 We visited Pinocchio and Geppetto's house.  Here, Blake insisted on trying to fit in the little fireplace! I think it reminded him of his cubby on the entertainment center at home. Silly boy!

IMG_2522copy
Blake & his key.

2:40 We rode the park train.
IMG_2548copy
Still has his key!

2:50 We got to be characters from the Wizard of Oz. Blake was good at being a flying monkey.
IMG_3844copyIMG_3845copy

2:54 We stopped for a drink...or rather, to play in the water.
IMG_3849copyIMG_3846

2:57 And then it happened...Blake was done.
He was exhausted and was done with Fairyland.
This is by far the biggest tantrum he's thrown to date.
Poor kid...he had a busy day.
IMG_3851copyIMG_3852copy
What better place to have a tantrum...on the yellow brick road.

5:45 Back at home we spent the evening relaxing.
Blake watched a little news with his shopping cart.
IMG_3862

And I snuck in a snuggle!
IMG_3865
I think Blake has forgiven me for locking him in the car. phew!

5 comments:

Erdmann Family News said...

Lisa,
What a precious story. Your photo's are so great and what a precious little boy. It is amazing what we can handle when we have to. I got out of my car to throw snow on my windshield in Echo canyon one time cause I had no fluid left and locked my keys in the car with it running. One of those most embarrassing moments for me too. Of course no kids in the car, but embarrassing still the same.
I just loved your story. I started one, but don't ever have so much exciting news to write about. Aunt Pat

Josh and Megan said...

Woah....what a day!!!
WOW! Glad to hear that everything is okay and that Blakey was just a happy/sweaty/hot/cute camper all while being rescued out of the car!

Looks like you still had a great day!

Amanda said...

Yikes! What a rough day for you. Thanks for the heads up on Fairyland, though. I've never heard of it and now it's on our to-do list. :)

Barrett, Melinda, Angel Trinity, and Baby Zander said...

Man, I remember when i locked Trin in the car...it's a nerve-wrecking experience. But I'm glad everything is ok and that Blakers got a day full of excitement...I mean, who doesn't love a bunch of firefighters coming to your rescue right?

Melanie Papworth said...

We still haven't made it to that place - we need to get there! Rough day - that's hilarious. In hind-sight, of course. Don't feel bad. We've done it! While camping! That was awesome...